||10 a.m. – 6 p.m.10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Los Angeles Writers Society has a terrific venue for you
promote your platform as an author and sell books!
As always, GLAWS will have
a double booth at this tremendous event that every year sees 125,000-150,000
attendees over two jam-packed days.
There are time slots each day where you as an author will be able to promote
yourself, sell and autograph books. You literally have a seat at the table for the biggest event of its kind
on the west coast.
Your book will also be displayed with your personal promo stand-up on
our bookcase all weekend, regardless of your time slot, and you will
be promoted through the GLAWS website and advertising, and the LA Times. Authors may sign
up for one or two days.
Nic Nelson's Top 5 Reasons To Be at LATFOB:
- LATFOB is a reader magnet. Every year, people tell me in person and Online that they love the FOB, or came to the FOB, because they love books. They can see, handle, and acquire books anytime at the library (for free!) or their favorite bookstore (if they live near a surviving one). They come to the FOB because they want more: they want to see hard-to-find books, Indie books, unusual books. They want to see what kind of book-oriented schwag and gizmos might be available at a book-focused festival. They want to rub shoulders with fellow book-lovers. And they are always fascinated to meet real authors, meaning YOU, either right now or in the near future if your book isn't published quite yet.
- LATFOB is a powerful reader magnet. Expect between 100,000 and 150,000 book lovers, all in one place, most of them flowing curiously past the ideally-situated GLAWS booth (#953)
- Readers buy books at book festivals. I don't know the statistics, but from my own observations over the past three LATFOBs, I'm guessing the average is two or three books per adult. If I'm right, there will be nearly a quarter of a million books sold at this year's LATFOB. And you don't want to be there? You don't want to compete for that business, you don't want to meet these people who find you fascinating just because you're an author, and who might buy your book just because you're right there to sign it for them?
- Readers pay attention to books from authors they already know. Obviously. This is why big-name authors can get away with the occasional mediocre offering and still make the New York Times list, right? And you get overlooked? This is your chance to not be overlooked. Every reader you meet at the GLAWS booth will remember you and be more likely to buy your book in the future.
- Name recognition doesn't only come from fame. It also comes from friendly acquaintance, and festivals like LATFOB are ideal settings to make the friendly acquaintance of an astonishing number of avid readers. Even if they don't read your genre, avid readers know (and spawn!) other avid readers, and when gift-giving opportunities roll around, you want your name and your book to come to their mind. If they never meet you, this will not happen.
we always strive for the best booth location in order to maximize your
visibility. We will again have a DOUBLE BOOTH (10x20) with long tables
and two bookcases for authors.
previous year's Lineup
order to qualify:
You must be a member of GLAWS in good
Yes, you may to join in order to qualify. Details »
A donation is requested per
slot per day to help defray the cost of the booth and promotion (a
real bargain since booths are expensive, and you keep 100% of whatever
Your work may be published or self-published,
hard cover, trade paper, paperback, or E-book, and should be available
for you to sell and autograph at the event.
Your agree to comply with the rules of
the convention, GLAWS guidelines for the event, and all legal sales
tax and liability requirements
If you are already
a GLAWS member in good standing:
Register and remit your donation per day
Include 1st, 2nd, 3rd preferences
for time slots
Times are assigned
in the order that the above is received at our PO Box, or by Online
In the event of multiple requests for
the same spot received on the same day, GLAWS Members in good standing,
Lifetime, and Charter get first choice.
If you are not a
You may become a member to participate. Simply
apply as above with your letter, or join
Online, with the requested donation per day / per time slot.
If you pay by mail, you must include:
- A signed application for membership
A membership check with application. [
dues ] GLAWS is a 501(c).
Note: The "slots" refer
to "chairs at the table". If you are a writing team, both of
you must be a member to each have a chair at the table. We call
memberships." Also, the requested donation is per slot,
which means per chair. If you are a writing team and both want to
sell books at the tables, you must each pay per
time slot to help cover costs.
(FYI, we typically sit two authors at a six
foot (6') table and no more than three authors at an eight foot
(8') table.) We limit the seating so that each member / author
has room for books, handouts, and for your comfort. We also limit
seating so there are never too many authors appearing at any one
time. This helps increase your visibility and chances for sales
Or Send a letter with the following information:
- Your Full Legal Name
- Pen Name (if any)
- Contact information: Phones, emails,
- A short bio. We will ask for a longer one and photos later
- Book Titles and genre. (Yes,
you may sell more than one title.)
- Format: State if your work will be sold
as hard copies, CDs, DVDs, or Online E books. More authors
are selling digital formats. Yes, you may promote them to event attendees
using bookmarks and fliers. This is acceptable, but not ideal. We recommend
that you have physical copies for display and impulse sales.
- Time slots you want (limit one per
- Any other information
essential to your qualifications and appearance.
- Include your donation check/money order with
your letter by USPS to:
The Greater Los Angeles Writers
Attn: LATFOB Chair
PO Box 2267
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
email or call that you want
to apply. We use the postmark on your envelope, or the date you
apply Online for the order of applicants.
email or call asking if you've
been accepted. Upon receipt of your letter & check, we will
email you. If you do not get an email from us by March 01,
then you may email to be sure we received your application
Please be patient. Once you are accepted, you
will receive a link with an overview of the event, plus periodic follow-ups
with complete details. You will work with our Event Chairs,
who handle operational details and answer questions.
Every year this event fills up quickly,
so don’t be left hanging on the standby list! We will email
accepted authors in February, so you have lots of time to promote
NOTE: You must provide a
copy of your State Board of Equalization (BOE Sales Tax License), and
sign a liability release before the event. The promoter requires this.
You should also have a copy of your license on hand when you appear
in case an official of the State BOE audits the booth on-site.
We look forward to another terrific event and contributing to your success
as an author.